A self-help tool to aid in the study of the First Look text (started with the 9th Edition)
Normal (click on theory name to show detail) | Show All details | Clear details
Chapter 31—Genderlect Styles
- Did reading about Tannen’s theory produce an “aha!” moment for you? If so, explain this moment. If not, reflect on why the theory’s claims may not match your personal experience.
- Tannen contends that women avoid conflict to preserve relational harmony. Yet, the classic movie Mean Girls is rife with conflict between female high school students. Of course, the movie is fiction—but perhaps it contains a kernel of truth. Explain how girls and women might engage in conflict without abandoning a rapport talk speech style. If you want to extend your essay further, you might consider how men might engage in comforting without abandoning report talk.
- How well do the qualities Tannen attributes to men and women equip each sex for the following roles: managers, parents, lawyers, physicians, teachers, friends? Specifically, is one sex better prepared for certain roles than the other sex? If so, is this a problem to be solved or a reality to be lived with?
- For the next 24 hours, carefully observe how the women and men in your life speak. What evidence, if any, do you observe that supports Tannen’s claims? In contrast, do you observe any men using rapport talk or women using report talk? If you do, why?
- In the ethical reflection on Gilligan, Griffin, Ledbetter, and Sparks note that “Traditional moral philosophy has never suggested different ethics for different groups.” Why does Gilligan attempt to do so? What problem(s) might this solve? What new problem(s) might such an ethical stance create?
You can access the Essay Questions for a particular chapter in several ways:
- Switch to View by Theory, then select the desired theory/chapter from the drop-down list at the top of the page. Look in the list of available resources.
- To quickly find a theory by chapter number, use the Table of Contents and link from there. It will take you directly to the theory with available options highlighted.
- You can also use the Theory List, which will take you directly to the theory with available options highlighted.
Back to top